Paper Mario – The Origami King Release Date & Analysis
It is no secret that Nintendo has struggled in recent years with the Paper Mario franchise. In search for the same magic and charm of The Thousand-Year Door, Nintendo blundered the likes of Sticker Star and Color Splash with boring characters, cryptic battle systems, and futile storylines. But can longtime series producer Kensuke Tanabe rekindle the flattened plumber’s flames? Switch owners will be happy to learn that Nintendo plans on doing just that by releasing Paper Mario The Origami King on July 17, 2020.
A New Wrinkle
When Nintendo announced that it had no plans for a June Direct, fans became skeptical of the company’s upcoming release schedule. But in a surprise trailer reveal, the beloved company restored faith it the hybrid-console community. While Mario role-playing games have not fared well in recent times, the two-minute trailer for Paper Mario The Origami King has the staff at GamingROI intrigued. Let’s dive in.
The Mushroom Kingdom has been invaded by an origami menace, King Olly. This crafty folder lays waste to Bowser’s minions and molds his allies into three-dimensional foes. Able to command the power of construction paper at will, Olly cloaks Princess Peach’s entire castle in a colorful array. As Mario attempts to escape the brilliant weave, he is saved by the most unlikely of characters: Bowser and Sky Guy driving a Koopa Clown Car. Our favorite Italian plumber then teams up with his archenemy and King Olly’s sister to save the day.
Although the trailer is only two minutes long, the video is packed with revelations.
- The game appears to employ a hub world comprised of six warp pipes. When Mario jumps down these tunnels, he can traverse vast and wide-open plains.
- In addition to a semi-open world approach, it appear as though Mario can drive many vehicles. From a boat to an ATV, our favorite red plumber has many options at his disposal.
- Perhaps the most interesting discovery is Mario’s allies. Normally backed by an army of Toads, the trailer showcased Mario enjoying light conversation with the likes of Bowser Jr, Magikoopa, Bomb-omb and others.
- Finally, Mario is equipped with the new 1,000-fold arms ability. By extending his limbs, Mario can fold his cardboard and paper environment to solve puzzles and reach new areas.
Although the story and characters are intriguing, the battle system is where the game shines. While a grid-based system is nothing new, a circular battle screen is captivating.
- The circular battle system is the soul of the new game. Mario’s enemies will encompass him on a 12×4 circular grid. But ever the intuitive hero, Mario can rotate the segments of the circle to line enemies in a row. By completing a full line of four enemies, Mario’s attach power is raised by 1.5X.
- In the lone battle scene, a timer is present in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. It appears as though Mario will need to make snap decisions during battle. But have no fear: players can use coins to buy more time.
- The final mystery is Mario’s method of attack. We can see him utilizing a shiny boot to attack multiple enemies. However, it is unclear how the menu options work. Our hope is that the game will employ weapons that can be equipped as opposed to the card-based mechanics from Sticker Star and Color Splash.
Exploration, an unlikely cast of characters, and a captivating story made The Thousand Year Door special. After analyzing the trailer, Paper Mario The Origami King seems poised to recapture the magic of the GameCube Classic.
But we want to know what you think. Are you excited about Paper Mario – The Origami King? Do you think the game will revive the Paper Mario series? What about the comparison to The Thousand-Year Door? Let us know in the comments below or the social media links on the right. Also, be sure to check out our other news items on Activision, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Animal Crossing, Modern Warfare, and more.
Want to dive deeper into your favorite games? Be sure to check out our editorial columns, such as On This Day in Gaming and Music that Moves articles. Also, subscribe to our social media links below or click on one of the links in our soundcloud. Trust us: You will not want to miss a thing!
Finally, we are starting to stream every night and are looking to add to our community. Be one of the first 100 followers on Twitch and Mixer for a chance to win a free GamingROI tee-shirt. All you have to do is click the links above and select “follow”. We will announce the winners at the end of each month. Until next time, enjoy!