Nintendo Indie Showcase – Every New Game Revealed
Nothing gets the Internet buzzing quite like a Nintendo Direct presentation. While the events have been sporadic over the last 12 months, Nintendo’s cadence of game revelations and updates has steadily increased. On Wednesday, Nintendo hosted a fifteen-minute Indie Showcase, which included many surprises. Below is a list of every game update so let’s dive in.
Small But Mighty
It is no secret that the Nintendo Switch is quickly becoming an indie studio powerhouse. Since the console’s launch in March 2017, independent developers have been a key component of Nintendo’s resurgence. The strong relationship between smaller studios and Nintendo has only grown stronger, and hype train kept rolling during this afternoon’s Indie Showcase. Here is every announcement and release date from the presentation:
- Spelunky 1 & 2 – The action rogue-like comes to the Nintendo Switch during summer 2021. The original game includes local multiplayer support while the sequel features both local and online multiplayer.
- Fisti-Fluffs – This action brawler pits furry felines against one another in an epic dual of cat-vs-mouse. The game supports local and online multiplayer and arrives to the Nintendo Switch in early 2021.
- Very Very Valet – This driving simulation game will test players’ driving skills and features 20 different maps and levels. Safely return your customer’s rides in this timed exclusive that releases in early 2021.
- Tunche – This 2D hack-and-slash features 5 playable characters and a unique jungle aesthetic. Rack up combos and defeat enemies when Tunche drops in March 2021.
- Cyber-Shadow – The new action-platformer from Yacht Club arrives on January 26, 2021 and supports Shovel Knight Amiibo functionality. In our opinion, Cyber-Shadow was the highlight of the Nintendo Indie Showcase presentation.
- Calico – More cats, but this time they have a cafe. This life-simulation game with a unique pastel watercolor style drops on Nintendo Switch today.
- Alba – A wildlife adventure game in a similar art style to Rime arrives in Spring 2021 to the Nintendo Switch.
- Gnosia – Inspired by the Zero Escape Nonary series, this social deduction game adds unprecedented levels of customization to the genre. The result is a truly unique experience, and the game releases in spring 2021.
- Happy Game – Remember Doki Doki Literature Club? The psychedelic adventure game gives us the same vibes and arrives in spring 2021.
- Super Meat Boy Forever – The tough-as-nails (and saws) platformer finally arrives to the Nintendo Switch as a console-launch exclusive on December 23rd.
- Grindstone – This candy-crush-like puzzle game boasts over 200 levels and launches today on the Nintendo Switch.
- When The Past Was Around – With an art style similar to Gris, the game appears to be point-and-click puzzle-adventure game and arrives on the Nintendo Switch today.
- Kosmokrats – This timed-console exclusive drops in early 2021 and features an art style similar to retro Fallout games. The game appears to be a puzzle-solver.
- Hoa – This 2D platformer is a combination of Rayman art style with Ori storytelling and arrives in April 2021.
- Hazel Sky – Modeled after several 3D puzzle-adventure games, Hazel Sky seemingly tells an Indiana-Jones-style story and drops in March 2021.
- Trash Sailors – The staff at GamingROI is pretty adept at diagnosing trailers; however, this indie title has us stumped. Trash Sailers appears to embrace rogue-like elements with its Darkest-Dungeon art style and launches in Spring 2021.
- Finding Paradise – This top-down role-playing game looks similar to many 16-bit JRPGs and arrives to the Nintendo Switch in Spring 2021.
Coup de Grâce – Among Us
The online social deduction indie darling makes its console debut on the Nintendo Switch today. That is right! The online party game that took the Internet by storm in July is now on the Nintendo Switch. As of this column, the game is currently drawing over 140,000 concurrent viewers on Twitch and thousands more on YouTube. Finally, Among Us is already at the top of the charts on the Nintendo eShop. Needless to say, fans are excited for the game to finally arrive on a console. The game is currently on sale for $5 USD. Enjoy!
We will have much more to say about today’s Nintendo Indie Showcase, but for now we want to know what you think. Did you watch the December Nintendo Indie Showcase? Which games are you most excited to play? Let us know in the comments below or the social media links on the right. Also, be sure to check out our other news items on Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, Call of Duty and more.
Want to dive deeper into your favorite games? Check out our editorial columns, such as On This Day in Gaming, Off the Record and Music that Moves. Also, subscribe to our social media links below or click on one of the links in our SoundCloud. Trust us: You will not want to miss a thing!
Finally, we are starting to stream every night and are looking to add to our community. Also, be one of the first 100 followers on Twitch for a chance to win a free GamingROI tee-shirt. All you have to do is click the links above and select “follow”. We will announce the winners at the end of each month. Until next time, enjoy!